Sunday, September 20, 2009

My beef with awards shows


There’s nothing like knowing that there’s an awards show (such as the Emmys) taking place a few miles up the road but not being able to watch it on live TV. The Emmys, Grammys and Oscars all take place in L.A. The ceremonies usually kick off at 5 p.m. so they will air live at 8 p.m. on the East Coast. The shows air in L.A. at 8 p.m.,
When the stage is empty and everything is being discussed all over the Internet. I usually know who the winners and losers are before the show even airs, but of course I can’t see anything unfold as it actually happens.
All of the local news crews are live on the Red Carpet before awards shows. Today, KTLA had live coverage from 3 to 5 p.m., when the celebrities were arriving for the Emmys. E! was also on hand for the arrivals, but started its Red Carpet program for the West Coast at 6 p.m. Had E! aired the arrivals live, I probably would have watched that channel instead.
Right now, when I should be enjoying the second hour of the Emmy telecast, I am looking at Variety’s Twitter feed so I can see the winners in real time. Though I am grateful to have access to the information, I think it is ridiculous that I have to wait another hour to see the telecast.
Now I know why so many people out here have Dish TV. They want the East Coast feed so they can see live programs as they happen! I don’t know what people do if they watch live programs such as “American Idol” and “Dancing With the Stars.”
Most of the TV shows and movies that win awards are created, written, filmed and edited in Hollywood. The ceremonies happen here for a reason and the celebrities come to L.A. to be part of it all. Fans on the West Coast deserve to see awards shows live.

No comments:

Post a Comment