Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Be prepared

Sunday’s earthquake was the second that I’ve experienced in SoCal, and this one was stronger and longer than the first. I’m not a Boy Scout, but I want to be prepared for an emergency.

When the Red Cross isn’t calling me to ask for blood donations, it apparently does a lot of work educating people on how to prepare for disasters. The organization recommends having an earthquake preparedness pack for your home, office and vehicle. (Yes, that’s three. THREE!) I have a decent pack for our home and have stashed some food and toiletries in my desk at the office.

Today, I put together backpacks for our two vehicles. Are we ready? I don’t know. But here’s the breakdown of what I bought at Target and what it cost.

  • Backpack $9.99
  • LED flashlight w/ batteries $7.89
  • Flashing glow stick $4.99
  • Swiss army knife $9.99
  • Emergency poncho $1.47
  • First aid kit $4.79 (Contains bandages, pain meds, antibacterial spray, Cortaid)
  • Germ guard kit $3.98 (Contains masks, gloves, sanitizing gel and spray)
  • Wet Ones wipes $0.99
  • Renu saline plus contact lenses case $1.47
  • Kleenex $0.99
  • Wisps toothbrushes $1.99 (Mini brushes made by Colgate. They include the toothpaste. I would have been all over these back when I was a camp counselor!)
  • Planters nuts $4.00
  • Slim Jims $2.89
  • Peanut butter crackers $1.72
  • Granola bars $2.50
  • Raisins $1.89
Total: $61.54 plus tax

The Red Cross sells packs with three days’ worth of supplies. The packs cost $69.95 but are out of stock. I based my shopping list on the Red Cross list.

Now, I have to go clean out the pantry to make room for a two-week supply of non-perishable food items.

No comments:

Post a Comment