Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Left holding the bag

Yesterday, I visited a Whole Foods Market. Once I got over my shock from the outrageously high prices, I noticed that there wasn’t a plastic bag in sight. There were two options at checkout: paper or canvas. Plastic bags are becoming more and more rare at stores, especially in Southern California. Up north, I don’t think you’d see them at all.

Plastic bags started showing up at grocery stores in the late 1980s. They’re cheap to produce and are the bag of choice at grocery and convenience stores. These bags are everywhere, probably even crammed into one of your kitchen drawers. I’ve used them to line waste cans, carry my lunch and even stuff my witch hat at Halloween.

But the bags also clog storm drains, litter roadways and float in the ocean. They are deadly snacks for sea turtles and sea lions who mistake the floating bags for jellyfish, a favorite food.

In 2007, San Francisco passed the nation’s first plastic bag ban. City officials there estimate that the ban saves 5 million bags each month. Los Angeles followed suit last year and will ban plastic bags from stores as of July 1, 2010. (If the state of California imposes at 25-cent fee for the bags, L.A. would drop its ban.) Malibu and Manhattan Beach recently passed ordinances banning the bags at all retailers.

L.A. officials estimate that more than 2 billion plastic bags are used in the city each year. In California, about 5 percent of plastic bags and 21 percent of paper bags are recycled, according to the Huffington Post. Organizers are working on a statewide plastic bag ban to reduce litter on beaches and in the ocean.

I’ve seen a lot of bags in places where they should not be. While stopped at a traffic light along Pacific Coast Highway, I saw a seagull trapped by a plastic bag. The bird had pierced the bag with its beak and was unable to remove it. The bag was large enough that the bird couldn’t see or fly. It hopped around madly, trying to free itself. I decided right then and there that I would never use plastic bags again. Any bags that do show up at my home are recycled at the grocery store. I won’t throw them away because they would just wind up in a landfill.

I’ve been using reusable bags for about a year. I have a couple for Target and four for Ralph’s, our grocery store. Ralph’s gives extra reward points for customers who bring their own bags, which cost 99 cents apiece. Target offers no such incentives, but the stores occasionally give away the bags.

I see people using reusable bags almost everywhere I shop. I hope this means that I won’t see any more birds along the road wrestling with plastic bags.

Caption: I keep reusable bags like these in my trunk so I’m always ready to shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment